The Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM) is an international research institute focusing on human genomics and personalised medicine at the Helsinki Institute of Life Science (HiLIFE) of the University of Helsinki. FIMM integrates molecular medicine research, technology centre and biobanking infrastructures under one roof, promoting translational research in grand challenge projects, specifically, the impact of genome information from the Finnish population in personalised health and medicine, individualised cancer medicine, and digital molecular medicine. FIMM is part of the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine, composed of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and the centres for molecular medicine in Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and the EU-LIFE Community.
FIMM is currently seeking
Bioinformatician for the Metabolomics Unit
for a fixed-term of one year with a possibility of extension
The FIMM Technology Centre has state-of-the-art infrastructures for genomics, medical bioinformatics, metabolomics, high-throughput screening, biobanking, biomarker discovery and other translational research platforms. FIMM Metabolomics Unit was launched in 2011.
The unit has cutting edge equipment including UPLC systems coupled to QQQ mass spectrometer (MS), QToF-MS, and QTRAP-MS, ORBITRAP-MS and a robot, Hamilton’s Star liquid handling system. The unit offers services for high-throughput untargeted, and targeted quantitative metabolomics and lipidomics, and also metabolic flux analyses for biomedical applications.
- Metabolomics/Lipidomics data processing and statistical data analyses.
- Development of bioinformatics and biostatistics methods for biomarker discovery; integrating various “omics” datasets.
- Development of data analytics workflows including automating the manual steps, wherever applicable.
- The applicant will also be involved in the daily operations of the core facility including project discussions, planning, reporting and also writing manuscripts.
Qualification and experience:
- The ideal candidate has a Master’s degree or Ph.D degree (or about to graduate) in bioinformatics or biostatistics or computational biology or computer science/IT or a related field with proven expertise (1-3 years of working experience).
- Strong experience and proficiency with various statistical methods and packages.
- Solid knowledge in programming languages and machine learning methodologies.
- Excellent scientific writing skills (e.g., documenting the reports, manuscripts etc).
- The ability to effectively interact with the group members in a team-oriented manner is a must.
- A service-minded and customer-friendly attitude is a must.
- The successful candidate is expected to be highly self-motivated and responsible with excellent scientific, problem solving, troubleshooting, and analytical skills.
- In addition, the candidate should be fluent in English, have good interpersonal and communication skills, and be able to work independently as well as part of a team.
We offer an exciting international working environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure as part of the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine.
Salary and contract:
The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience based on the University salary system. A contract will be offered initially for one year and long-term extension is possible. The position is a full-time position starting as soon as possible or upon mutual agreement.
Application should be written in English and include a 1-page cover letter with motivation and 3-4 pages CV, a list of publications, contact information for three referees (no other transcripts/documents are needed).
Please submit your application, together the with attachments, as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki electronic recruitment system by clicking on Apply for the position -link. Internal applicants (i.e., current employees of the University of Helsinki) must submit their applications through the SAP HR portal no later than 28th February 2019.
For further information please visit our website and/or contact the Head of the Metabolomics Unit, A/Prof. Vidya Velagapudi (vidya.velagapudi(at)helsinki.fi).